- Lewis's Woodpecker - Melanerpes lewis - USGS Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
- Lewis's Woodpecker Species Account - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Lewis's Woodpecker Information - South Dakota Birds and Birding
- Photo-Medium Res; Article w/species analysis dwrcdc.nr.utah.gov–Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
- Photo-High Res; Article pbase
Monday, October 26, 2009
LEWIS'S WOODPECKER was named for Merriweather Lewis whom you all probably remember from fifth grade social studies and 'Lewis' of Lewis and Clark fame. He surveyed much of the western part of the United States which was later bought as part of the Louisiana Purchase. This woodpecker was sitting atop a utility pole, drilling happily away for insects. The pole was next to a railroad track where I was walking as I waited for my son and husband to jump from a 7,650 foot cliff. Yes, you read that right. They were going paragliding (more on that later) while in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.