Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Detection Tool

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Clematis In Snow

In case you thought I was kidding about flowers in my yard under snow, check this out! This clematis always blooms late into the fall. This year, it was still blooming and had nice fat buds visible in the photo on December ninth. In fact, it still does have nice fat buds, but now they are buried. You can see from the little brown dots on the petals that their tender flesh had frozen. If the sun came out again and it warmed up, I'm pretty sure that those buds would bloom. As it's blowing a steady fifteen miles per hour with horizontal snow from the Northeast as I write, I'm afraid there's not much threat of that. I'm not sure what the variety of clematis is. I probably picked it up from a nursery center clearance bin and got it cheap for lack of a tag. When a plant loses its pedigree, it no longer commands the same price. This clematis could be 'Prince Charles,' based on the color and petal shape. Do you suppose the Prince Charles would be offended to know that if he lost his tag he would be relegated to the orphaned plants bin? Would he continue to bloom under the snow, regal, frozen, abandoned? 




2 comments:

  1. Clematis are my FAVORITE plant! I am so surprised you still had blooms on Dec. 9th. My clematis vine stopped blooming in September, but yours even survived a snowfall...AMAZING! Beautiful photo!
    HG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some varieties of clematis flower later than others, so I can't totally claim some mysterious botanical wizardry (though I have been accused of that in the past!). I thought these flowers looked like the candied petals put on fancy cakes, you know: when they sugar pansies and roses. Ooops, there I go again: making a correlation to something edible.

    ReplyDelete