Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Detection Tool

Friday, February 13, 2009

Spring's a Comin'!



This is a short (under 7 minutes) video I put together. It's of my gardens in Mid Coast Maine in the months of June and July. I do all of the gardening. My husband is my slave labor. I made this video because right now, there is snow all over the ground. Where there isn't snow, there is treacherous ice. It's the time of year when the sun is feeling really warm and inviting, but dare yea who ventures out! It's still very cold. The wind is biting and takes the fun out of the sun's seeming invitation. At this time of year, I have metamorphosed totally into a house fly. I become one of those fat, lazy ones that buzzes idly around, crawling on the windows. They always seem like they should be easy to kill, but they're not. I can attest to that having tried to swat lots of them. Plus, I'm still here. Like the swollen, blue flies, I don't like to go outside. I like to move around inside the house, following the path of the sun. Only to fill the bird feeders do I scurry out, mindful of the deadly ice, always there to claim a hip, a wrist or some other vital part of me lest I skid on it. That has happened to me before, too. I've slipped and sent buckets of bird seed flying into the stratosphere to rain back down on me as I cursed. I've yet to break anything, but my life passes before my eyes anticipating that I will. Long after my heart stopped pounding and I'd caught my breath, I was still picking the seeds out of my hair and from inside my bra. It's a good thing that Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld didn't live here. I felt like he looked when he'd fly into a room, arms and legs everywhere before he came to an abrupt stop. Had he tried that maneuver on the ice in my driveway he would have broken into a million pieces. And his hair would have held onto bird seed for perpetuity. I have hair like his. I know.
Today, I ventured out across the yard to fill a feeder and throw some corn around. As I minced my way across what looks like old fashioned boiled frosting, I noticed tracks of deer mixed in with turkeys. The turkey tracks are so big they look like teradactyls were stomping around out there. The deer have come right to the side of the house to chew shrubs, in spite of the dogs (aforementioned useless bums). They have stood on their hind legs to tip a suspended bird feeder on end to get to the seed. That's how hungry they are. I suppose that there is lawn under the glistening sheen where now, only a Zamboni should dare to tread. I have to take that on some faith, faith that the grass will eventually green up, faith that my chewed magnolia will recover, faith that the deer won't starve to death. I have to have faith that I won't be killed outright, or at least suffer a million broken bones, while out doing a good thing for creatures other than myself. I have to have faith that under the snow, the crocuses are squeezing their way upward toward the sun. That's really why I made the video. Sometimes, my fears overshadow my faith and I need a reminder.

7 comments:

  1. Yep Spring is coming - The Red Sox Equiptment Truck left for Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed. I could see the whole thing clearly, birdseed in the birdsnest hair, zamboni in the driveway, turkey tracks, deer nibbling at the feeders and you as a fay house fly, buzzing in the warmth of a sunny window. You definitely have it and I like the combo. I will be sending this to my gardening pals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful! I watched the video and read the blogs that I hadn't seen already. You sure do a wonderfully interesting job! And I have always been a raving admirer of your gardens anyway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ya- I love it Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I have WiFi back and could see all the photos and watch the video. Your gardens must be stunning in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perry needs an agent- truly he's just wasting his talent sitting in the sunny living room in the "Burg"...money can be made off of him- but ya gotta get him more publicity. Maybe he's not interested??? I know Easy would be all over it though, but she lacks his talents!

    ReplyDelete